Monday, March 16, 2009

Blessed are the entitled for theirs has already been given to them.

Blessed are the entitled for theirs has already been given to them.....or maybe we should say, "Woe to the entitled for we cannot see how good we have it." I am convicted everyday that I learn more about myself and our generation of entitled, selfish and self-righteous people group. What is it that we think we deserve? We are the most endowed group of people to ever exist on this earth. More money, technology, education and power than ever before, so we think we deserve to have all things? I don't understand it! Why am I so entitled? If I really examine my entitlement issues it is really just pride and selfishness. So, why am I so proud? Why am I so selfish? I was never raised this way! I was raised to follow Jesus and to imitate Him. Jesus was never selfish or prideful! In fact, quite the contrary! Jesus was humble and made himself lowly in the face of his friends. Remember how he washed their feet and how he would never let anybody boast about how he had just healed them? Now that's something to brag about, and Jesus never did that.

I think there is something our generation is good at though, regardless of the selfish ambition. That is the reality that we are wrong. We can admit that. We can start a change and we can make something new happen in life. It is interesting that while we were still entitled Christ died for us. It is interesting that if we confess our entitlement, Jesus is faithful to forgive us. No matter what Jesus will forgive our entitlement and make us the lowly servants that we deserve to be. I say that we begin a new movement in our generation, we turn the established upside down as Jesus did in his day. I say we drop our rights, our priveledges, and our entitlement and pick up a wash basin and a towel and wash someone's feet. We are no better than anyone else, in fact let's be lower than everyone else. Let's change from the entitled to the humbled generation.

Narcissism, Self-love, Incurvatus in Se (Bent in on self). Is that what we have become? Or is that what we have always been? Maybe it has gotten so bad that we finally notice it. But maybe we are so bent in on ourselves that we don't care to do anything about it. Take notice of yourself, and then do as Jesus says, "The Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life." Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it." Luke 9:22-24 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message and tell me what you think!